Man Up, the group just for men. Every Sunday at 8 p.m. in the Church Centre.
Our next meeting is on Sunday, 2nd July at 8 p.m. in the lounge at the St. John’s Church Centre with Rob leading us. We will be looking at the eighth and last in our series in the letter to the Hebrews, covering Hebrews 12:1 – 13:25. So far in the series we have learned that:
- Jesus is God’s greatest revelation, so we need to pay close attention to him and never drift away;
- Jesus is a real human. He suffered death as a human to destroy death’s power and to free us from its slavery, so that we can have friendship with God.
- Jesus is God’s Son and is much greater even than Moses. We need to fix our hopes on Him, by listening to, believing and acting on God’s word.
- Jesus is our great High Priest forever, so we can approach God’s throne with total confidence.
- We need to feed on the solid food, which is the truth about Jesus, so that we become mature in our faith, instead of falling away.
- The old covenant (temple, priests, sacrifice) was all looking forward to Jesus and the new covenant which he brought, so don’t ever give up on him!
- Christians live by faith. The examples of faithful people from the past will help us to do that.
Next up the writer of Hebrews looks at the topic of suffering and hardship. While most of us reject suffering and hardship, these are often used by God to strengthen our resolve and teach us much. The disciplines which we learn, despite trials, can encourage us to grow spiritually and to appreciate the full extent of God’s love for us. Come and join us as we see how the author concludes this inspiring and challenging letter.